List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: US-specific shortcuts
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-07-13 13:02:55

Hi Malte,

> Yeah, those work indeed. So maybe the problem in KView is that ; which is
> Shift-, on my keyboard doesn't work, maybe because it has no other
> modifiers?

Qt is responsible for application shortcuts, and KDE for global shortcuts.
But Qt doesn't deal with punctuation marks in shortcuts properly.  Maybe in
Qt3.0, but I doubt it...  So if punctuation marks are used by an application,
it's guaranteed to be problamatic for other keyboard layouts.

I see three possible solutions:
1) leave them as they are, and other layouts can't use them without
customization,
2) remove/replace them,
3) modify KAccel to pass the 'real' key Qt.

My vote goes to #3, possibly combined with 2 & 1.  I just fixed it #3.
I won't have time to really test it until tomorrow, though.  Of course, this
doesn't completely take care of your objection to punctuation shortcuts -- it
merely makes some shortcut available instead of none.  So instead of ';'
being the shortcut for you, it'll show up at Shift+<whatever>.  I don't know
if it'll work with AltGr keys.  Like I said, I'll test it this weekend.

Regards,
Ellis