List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: adjusting lib version numbers
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-06-25 20:10:28

On Saturday 23 June 2001 18:06, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Saturday 23 June 2001 06:03 am, aleXXX wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > finally I took the time and figured out how to get .so.3.2.0 and so.1.2.0
> > version numbers for libs.
> >
> > I am willing to change the Makefile.am's in kdelibs accordingly (after
> > the beta).
> > I think most people agreed that libs with different functionality and
> > versions should have different version numbers (just look at Qt or any
> > other lib). We didn't change the lib number from 2.0 to 2.1, but better
> > change it now than never.
> >
> > Does anybody object ?
>
> Yes, I do. Having version numbers suggests that mulpiple versions of the
> same library can be used next to each other which is not the case.

Having several versions of libkdeui.so.3.0.0 doesn't suggest that they all do
exactly the same ?
I don't see the point.

> I think
> it will increase the number of installation problems. Both users and
> distributions have big problems with something as simple as setting KDEDIRS
> right I really think this isn't going to make the situation better.
>
> Apart from that I think changing the library versions is a rather labour
> intensiv task. Sure, you want to do it for 2.2 but are you around for 2.3?
> 2.4? I don't think we can rely on your presence (or anybody else's) So for
> this to be something that we keep doing it will need to be highly
> automated.

Yes, this would be better.

> I'm also not convinced that the semantics of version numbers is the same on
> all platforms that we support. Does libtool take care of that?

Every other library changes its version numbers, so I think it might work ;-)

> Which
> numbering do we use for 2.2? What for 2.2.1 and 2.2.2?

Probably 3.2.0 for 2.2, 3.2.1 for 2.2.1, 3.2.1 for 2.2.1, not that hard ;-)

Bye
Alex