List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: patch: konsole
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-25 9:04:05

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 04:38:43PM -0400, Chris Machemer wrote:
> Currently, the header of Konsole consists of three things.
> 1.  Title
> 2.  Current Path
> 3.  Caption
>
> It looks like this patch would combine the caption and title components.

No, the caption component is automatically appended by the kde framework
(see KMainWindow::setCaption) .

> a) Is that correct?
> b) Is that what we want konsole to do?
>
> I don't really use xterm or anything else other than konsole, and I've gotten
> used to the 3-part header, so personally, this seems like it might be
> incorrect.

Here's what the current konsole does:
Whenever it receives this magic escape sequence it temporarily merges the user
specified string ('2.' in your list) with the current title of the session:

void Konsole::changeTitle(int, const QString& s)
{
//  KONSOLEDEBUG << "changeTitle title = " << s << endl;
//  title = s; setHeader();
  title = te->currentSession->Title();
  QString tmpTitle = title;
  title += " - ";
  title += s;
  setHeader();
  title=tmpTitle;
}

The point here is that this is temporary. Whenever you switch to another
session this user specified string is lost, as it is not saved correctly.
That's the only thing my patch changes. It does not change this 3-part header
or something. In fact it keeps it the way you mentioned it. It saves the
user specified string separately from the session title (and the caption, 3.
in your list, is appended automatically by the KDE framework) , so it can
be restored when switching session and does not get lost when the user
renames the session (title) .

From the user point of view this 3-part header does not change at all.
All that changes is that the user specified part does not get lost anymore
when switching the active session.

FWIW #15781 describes the same problem.

Bye,
 Simon