List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB ioslave is half functioning (not SMBRO)
From:       Wynn Wilkes <wynnw () calderasystems ! com>
Date:       2001-06-22 15:36:27

On Friday 22 June 2001 08:20 am, Claudiu Costin wrote:
>            Hello friends,
>
>    Is someone maintaining SMB IO slave?
> I mean not smbro! But the one using
> libmysqlclient. It's not functioning correct.
This one uses libsmbclient, not libmysqlclient...I'm not sure where you are
getting that.

We(my team at Caldera that originally wrote it) are waiting for the Samba
group to make an official release of the libsmbclient library.  As it is now,
the smb ioslave won't compile unless you have built the libsmbclient library
from Samba's cvs.

It was working well a while ago, but we haven't touched it since, so I'm sure
there are problems since things move so fast.

> It crash konqueror when listing a share and "smb://" URI
> scheme have bad design.
> More details.
> smb URI scheme assume this:
>   (1) smb://WORKGROUP/HOST and
>   (2) smb://HOST/SHARE/
Yes this URI scheme is a problem we inherit from the design of the
libsmbclient URL's.  That was maybe going to change...obviously from what you
said you would rather kio_smb has it's own URI scheme which we translate to
the libsmblient's.  It's a tricky problem.  Unfortunately, redirection
doesn't work too well in the ioslave framework.

>    It's obvious that offices with mixed Linux and Windows
> are more than only Linux. There's a hard need for
> functional (read/write) smb ioslave. I've traced this
> ioslave development for months.
>    Unfortunately this work stopped according to CVS
> history.
>
>    My question: are plans for this smb ioslave? I'm
> sysad for heterogenous network for about 50 computers
> including Linux, Windows and Mac. It's a high need
> for interoperability. Also I'm unexperienced programmer
> in C++/KDE/Qt. Anyway, if no one take this job to fix
> smb ioslave (not smbro), then I'll take.
Like I said before, it's not really usable until the libsmblient library has
been released.  Once it is we'll whip it into shape.  It looks like this
won't happen in the 2.2 time frame though.  If you want to do some work on it
that would be great.  We'd love to discuss the design issues with
you...please contact myself or Matt Peterson(mpeterson@caldera.com) about it.

Thanks,
Wynn Wilkes
Caldera Systems, Inc.