List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SMB ioslave is half functioning (not SMBRO)
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-06-22 15:29:53

On Friday 22 June 2001 16:20, Claudiu Costin wrote:
>            Hello friends,
>
>    Is someone maintaining SMB IO slave?
> I mean not smbro! But the one using
> libmysqlclient. It's not functioning correct.
> It crash konqueror when listing a share and "smb://" URI
> scheme have bad design.
> More details.
> smb URI scheme assume this:
>   (1) smb://WORKGROUP/HOST and
>   (2) smb://HOST/SHARE/

I think the correct one should be smb://hostname (as in ftp://hostname,
ftp://hostname, and so on).
Not sure where to put the workgroup.
Maybe smb://hostname.workgroup. IMHO we have this problem since this is a
strange design of the smb protocol, because it mixes two different purposes,
providing access to shares from hosts (like ftp, http, nfs,...) and to lists
of these hosts.

That's what I separated cleanly with the smbro ioslave and the lan ioslave.
There you always have protocol://the_server_host, whereas for lan://somehost
somehost is the host which provides a list of hosts (which is in this case
the ressource),  and the protocols ftp, http, smb, which also provide access
to the ressources of the hosts, i.e. to the more or less files accessible
from this host.

Bye
Alex