List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    SMB ioslave is half functioning (not SMBRO)
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () work ! ro>
Date:       2001-06-22 14:20:04

           Hello friends,

   Is someone maintaining SMB IO slave?
I mean not smbro! But the one using
libmysqlclient. It's not functioning correct.
It crash konqueror when listing a share and "smb://" URI
scheme have bad design.
More details.
smb URI scheme assume this:
  (1) smb://WORKGROUP/HOST and
  (2) smb://HOST/SHARE/

 When in Konqueror side bar I click on Windows share .This
is "smb://" which get a list of WORKGROUPS, then list is
grabbed. This is fine.
  I click on WORKGROUP (this is smb://WORKGROUP) and
a list of hosts in WORKGROUP is listed and URI scheme fit
in (1).
  Now click on HOST icon and this will try to expand
in smb://WORKGROUP/HOST/SHARE then jump on
smb://HOST/SHARE (visually on side bar WORKGROUP icon
disappear) and Konqueror crash.
   Running Konqueror from console show that smb ioslave
is self confused and crash happily.
  It's obvious this approach is bad design. The good will
be:
   smb://WORKGROUP/HOST/SHARE/
or
   smb://HOST/SHARE/
More glue logic need to put to determine which scheme is
appropriate.

Also listing PRINTER shares will be convenient (a la Windows)

   It's obvious that offices with mixed Linux and Windows
are more than only Linux. There's a hard need for
functional (read/write) smb ioslave. I've traced this
ioslave development for months.
   Unfortunately this work stopped according to CVS
history.

   My question: are plans for this smb ioslave? I'm
sysad for heterogenous network for about 50 computers
including Linux, Windows and Mac. It's a high need
for interoperability. Also I'm unexperienced programmer
in C++/KDE/Qt. Anyway, if no one take this job to fix
smb ioslave (not smbro), then I'll take.

kind regards,
--
Claudiu Costin
<claudiuc@work.ro>