List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: SOAP <-> DCOP
From:       Dan Pilone <pilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2001-06-22 14:07:19

On Friday 22 June 2001 01:59 am, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2001 11:09 pm, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > Has anyone thought of gluing DCOP and SOAP together ? Does anyone know of
> > any efforts in this area ? If there's nothing happening, I think I might
> > have a go.
>
> Nobody is doing anything, AFAIK.  I was always *going* to extend kxmlrpcd
> to handle SOAP (should be pretty easy) but have never found (made) the
> time.

  Acutally, there is some work going on.  KDE-Pim work has spawned a few of
us off into basic distributed apps (Mike Pilone, Bryan Dumm, myself).  We're
using SOAP to do the communication between the client (KDE App) and the
server (whatever, but currently either EJBs or Perl).  We have talked about
extending DCOP to do this SOAP communication but haven't acutally done it
yet.  The reason is that SOAP doesn't "quite" line up with what DCOP is doing
now.  Meaning, we could do a lot of what DCOP does, but not quite all of it.
(The two way registration, the interface discovery, etc.)  We could let the
actual calls be carried via soap though.  And as Kurt/Waldo pointed out, DCOP
is currently using libICE as its transport.  We'd need to put an HTTP
transport in there, which would make security an issue again.  We may end up
going the route of kxmlrpcd, where there is a seperate daemon running that
talks to the dcopserver.  We haven't worked that out yet.
  What would be _very_ useful and we haven't been able to find is a C++ dcop
library.  Currently my test apps are being writting in java using the
java->kde bindings so I can use apache's soap client.  Bryan Dumm's work is
being done in Perl (partially because he's most familiar with that, but
partially because they have perl soap client).  I recommend you check out:

http://www.slac.com/mpilone/kde_pim_api/
http://www.slac.com/pilone/KDE-Architecture/KDE-Distributed.html

(Yes, one is 'mpilone' and one is 'pilone'.)  Mike's documents are the
originial ones that got this going and the second one is one that I wrote
pushing harder for distributed applications.  They give a good idea of what
we're trying to achieve.  Hope that helps -- Dan

--
GPG Fingerprint = EB47 45A5 B3EB B78E 7AE4 DDA8 7A70 FFB6 EEAA 0F10
See http://www.slac.com/pilone/gpg-key.txt for full key.