List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    [Re: The desktop apathy]
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2001-05-28 22:01:44

With Mozilla being delayed and all, I figured it was time for some icing
on the cake.  This stemmed from a discussion of Mac OS X, and is pretty
off topic.

- alex

----- Forwarded message from Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com> -----

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 23:55:53 +0200
From: Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 11:03:04PM +0200, Fredrik Olausson wrote:

> [...]

I have to agree here. After seriously working with both KDE and Gnome
for the past way-too-long, KDE is moving to a generally usable stage
much faster. It seems to be winning out on two big points: Speed (it's
both fast _and_ snappy, which unfortunately can't be said for the latest
Gnome), and Konqueror, which I guess is KDE's killer-app.

I used to be more of a Gnome guy, but KDE is making leaps and bounds
that are hard to ignore. Personally, I still 'feel the bloat' though.
Luckily, the kdebase2 port removes a lot of that, but I guess I'm just
not a Desktop Environment kind of guy. Simple window manager, and fast
please (BlackBox anyone?).

But KDE is promising less bloat and more speed, and since they seem to
keep what they promise, I can't help but look forward to the next
releases.

--
-Munish