List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-05-28 21:41:12

On Monday 28 May 2001 22:51, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Getting KDE 2.x running besides KDE 3.x will be a daunting task. It will
> put additional constraints on what we may change in KDE 3.x and I don't
> like that at all. I'm inclined to say that we shouldn't support KDE 2.x
> running in parallel with KDE 3.x at all. Yes, I know that sucks.

What are the problems then? I'm not too experienced with the details of the
build system, but from my perspective KDE uses
1. A KDE dir (/opt/kde2)
2. A user dir (~/.kde2)
3. 2 variables (QTDIR=, KDEDIR=)
4. Some temp files in /tmp
5. A source dir

Running two different KDE versions thus gives
1. KDE 3 installed in /opt/kde3, kde2 remains in /opt/kde2
2. User dir becomes ~/.kde3, ~/.kde2 remains
3. QTDIR is tricky because we're dependent on the trolls. KDEDIR can safely
be changed into KDE3DIR and leaving the KDEDIR for KDE2 apps
4. Temp files can be placed in a /tmp/kde3 folder, or in e.g.
/tmp/username-kde3
5. Sources are separate anyway and don't conflict.

Obviously I'm overlooking things here, but which? I don't think the above is
right, but it is the way I see it currently, so where is my mistake? If there
isn't, then maintaining two versions would be a piece of cake, so there must
be a catch ;-)

Martijn, curious...