List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: QT 3.0 and future KDR Road Map
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-28 20:51:47

On Monday 28 May 2001 02:34, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > Having said that, KDE 1 binaries can run run under KDE2 by installing
> > QT1, kdesupport1 and kdelibs1.  Different library symbols make this
> > relatively simple (libqt -> libqt2, but an application specifically
> > linking libqt1 gets it).   Theoretically the same will apply with KDE3 vs
> > KDE2, although it might be a little harder as more active IPC mechanisms
> > become popular.
>
> Reality check? Currently, applications linked with kdelibs from HEAD don't
> work simultaneously with applications linked with kdelibs 2.1. And that's
> going to become better?

To be clear: you can't combine libs of the 2.x series. Either all your apps
use 2.1 libs or all your apps use 2.2 libs, you can't mix.

Getting KDE 2.x running besides KDE 3.x will be a daunting task. It will put
additional constraints on what we may change in KDE 3.x and I don't like that
at all. I'm inclined to say that we shouldn't support KDE 2.x running in
parallel with KDE 3.x at all. Yes, I know that sucks.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com