List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This week's CVS issues
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-17 19:05:56

#if Ralf Nolden

> c) drag'n drop of images to desktop
>
> A function is required that enables the user to set the file as the
> background image. Preferrably by first checking the settings on the
> background so that either all desktops get this or only the current
> virtual one. This one is one of the last important functions that
> Nautilus offers (*hint, hint*) and which we don't have but which besides
> other desktop environments is useful as well.

I thought that already worked ? There's a 'Set as wallpaper' item on
the popup menu when I drag an image to the desktop here ? Or do I fail
to understand you ?

> h) image collection addon
> There is a speed issue on the creation of the thumbnails. It just takes
> too long :-) Another one is that after finishing it opens a *new*
> konqueror window with the page of the image collection. Instead it
> should open the images page in the *same* window the user works in.

Unfortunately QImage::smoothScale() takes quite some time.

I wrote a little daemon 'thumbd' a few weeks ago that automatically
keeps all my thumbnails up to date - and I used imlib2, which has
MMX-optimised scaling, and it's not much faster than konqy's thumbnail
generator.

I think the problem is that the thumbnail creation _feels_ slow due to
the fact that while thumbnails are being updated the layout of the icons
is fixed to something wrong, and the layout is only adjusted once update
is complete. This looks bad.

If the icon view could have its layout set before the thumbnail slave
starts working, there would be no re-layout at the end. This should be
possible, because in thumbnail mode, all icons have the same size. I
tried to find how to do this in the konqy/libkonq/etc code but couldn't
see exactly how to make it work properly.

Could someone who understands konqy and its icon view please have a look
at that ? I am convinced it should be simple to do - hopefully just
something like:
if (usingThumbs) { setGridSize(thumbnailSize); layout(); }
.. but I may be wrong :}

Rik