List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: This week's CVS issues
From:       Malte.Starostik () t-online ! de (Malte Starostik)
Date:       2001-05-17 23:41:38

On Thursday 17 May 2001 21:05, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> I think the problem is that the thumbnail creation _feels_ slow due to
> the fact that while thumbnails are being updated the layout of the icons
> is fixed to something wrong, and the layout is only adjusted once update
> is complete. This looks bad.
>
> If the icon view could have its layout set before the thumbnail slave
> starts working, there would be no re-layout at the end. This should be
> possible, because in thumbnail mode, all icons have the same size.
This is wrong. All icons in one row have the same height, but different rows
might have different heights and some icons are wider that others.

> I tried to find how to do this in the konqy/libkonq/etc code but couldn't
> see exactly how to make it work properly.
>
> Could someone who understands konqy and its icon view please have a look
> at that ? I am convinced it should be simple to do - hopefully just
> something like:
> if (usingThumbs) { setGridSize(thumbnailSize); layout(); }
> .. but I may be wrong :}
I wish it would be as easy as that. Well, it is, but then all icons would
really take up the same size which would waste alot of space. I'm tempted to
do it though, as the current situation is indeed evil.
-Malte
--
Wars don't determine who's right, only who's left.