List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What's the deal with kdedb?
From:       Henrik Johnson <hpj () globecom ! net>
Date:       2001-05-16 8:52:26

I've been looking at the Qt libraries and AFAIK the Qt libraries doesn't
support any kind of data manipulation. I could have missed something
though. Thats why I suggest to back out KDEDB from KDE 2.2 and either:

1. Wait for Qt 3.0 is released.
2. Backport the SQL path of Qt 3 to 2.3. I think this should be pretty
trivial since it seems pretty separate from the UI of Qt.

After this is done a new hopefully stable API with browsing and
manipulation functionality can be built on top of the QtSql API which
when released can be counted on being reasonable stable (The API that
is). I think it would be a misstake to release an API now that everyone
(at least on this list) knows will probably be changed pretty soon. I
could even consider being a maintainer for that new API if no one else
steps up to the plate. I will have problem with any other DB than MySQL
and Oracle though since I've never used these, but the DB and these 2
backends should be no problem.

Just my 2c

/Mauritz
GlobeCom AB

On 5/16/01, 4:16:27 PM, Alessandro Praduroux <pradu@thekompany.com> wrote
regarding Re: What's the deal with kdedb?:

> There are 2 things that must be considered IMHO

> 1 - KDEDB core libraries (kdbcore and kdbui)
> 2 - apps in kde using the actual KDEDB libraries

> For the libs, probably the best bet is using the QT ones, provided that
they
> have the same feature list ( one thing that comes to mind is the meta
> information about the database, that is in kdedb but I dunno if it's in
QT)