I've been looking at the Qt libraries and AFAIK the Qt libraries doesn't= =20 support any kind of data manipulation. I could have missed something=20 though. Thats why I suggest to back out KDEDB from KDE 2.2 and either: 1. Wait for Qt 3.0 is released. 2. Backport the SQL path of Qt 3 to 2.3. I think this should be pretty=20 trivial since it seems pretty separate from the UI of Qt. After this is done a new hopefully stable API with browsing and=20 manipulation functionality can be built on top of the QtSql API which=20 when released can be counted on being reasonable stable (The API that=20 is). I think it would be a misstake to release an API now that everyone = (at least on this list) knows will probably be changed pretty soon. I=20 could even consider being a maintainer for that new API if no one else=20 steps up to the plate. I will have problem with any other DB than MySQL = and Oracle though since I've never used these, but the DB and these 2=20 backends should be no problem. Just my 2c /Mauritz GlobeCom AB >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< On 5/16/01, 4:16:27 PM, Alessandro Praduroux wrot= e=20 regarding Re: What's the deal with kdedb?: > There are 2 things that must be considered IMHO > 1 - KDEDB core libraries (kdbcore and kdbui) > 2 - apps in kde using the actual KDEDB libraries > For the libs, probably the best bet is using the QT ones, provided tha= t=20 they > have the same feature list ( one thing that comes to mind is the meta > information about the database, that is in kdedb but I dunno if it's i= n=20 QT) > the apps (actually only the ioslave, IIRC, and a small test app that i= s=20 in > kdenonbeta) can be rewritten if we go for the qt library, there's not = a=20 big > installed base for now. > but Alex is right, NOW is the moment to decide to keep kdedb or to dro= p=20 it > and wait for QT3/KDE3. > One thing that must be considered in this discussion is that I have a = very > limited time now, and if we want to keep KDEDB we must find a new=20 mantainer > for it, 'cause if we put it in KDE2.2, we will get bug reports from > programmers and someone must take care of it. I can help of course, bu= t I > don't think I can do it 'full time' now. > Opinions? > Il 20:12, marted=EC 15 Maggio 2001, Shawn Gordon ha scritto: > > At 05:08 PM 5/15/2001, you wrote: > > >On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 04:12:06PM +0200, Matthias Ettrich wrote: > > > > Guillaume is right. The open source edition of Qt will continue = to be > > > > feature-wise identical with the Qt Enterprise Edition on Unix/X1= 1, that > > > > is including the database module. > > > > > >Sooooooo.. > > > > > >what will happen to kdedb in kdelibs? > > > > > >- alex > > > > no one has done an exhaustive comparison yet, but there are features= of > > KDEDB that qdb doesn't and probably won't have, like the kio_slave f= or > > Konqueror. Until someone does a comparison it's hard to decide what= will > > go where. > > > > Regards, > > > > Shawn Gordon > > President > > theKompany.com > > www.thekompany.com > > 949-713-3276 > -- > Pradu > pradu@thekompany.com > www.thekompany.com