List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-08 12:51:38

Mike Richardson wrote:
> =

> On Tuesday 08 May 2001 13:09, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Dne =FAt 8. kv=ECten 2001 13:31 Ralf Nolden napsal(a):
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > out of experience (from this internet cafe here running with KDE 2.=
1.1)
> > > the users are *not* capable of understanding that starting applicat=
ions
> > > may take some time. The result is that they click on the konqueror =
or
> > > netscape icon 5 or more times which slows down the machines (diskle=
ss
> > > clients) even more. So what is needed besides the taskbar start
> > > notification is to also set the cursor to wait cursor. A new hourgl=
ass
> > > cursor with a pointer a la windoze would be the best option, this o=
ne
> > > can be black and white so this shouldn't be a problem to do actuall=
y.
> > > But changing the cursor is *very* crucial.
> > >
> > > Ralf
> >
> >  This is going to be a little problem, since AFAIK all widgets may sp=
ecify
> > their cursor and it can't be globally overriden. And I don't think th=
at
> > changing the cursor is the only and best way of doing it. It can be e=
asily
> > made that you get a little splashscreen for every app as a startup
> > notification, or you can even write an app that will do 'beep beep'
> > everytime you start Konqy or Netscape.
> >  Just writing an applet which would
> >     connectDCOPSignal(0, 0,
> > "clientStarted(QString,QString,pid_t,QString,bool,int)",
> > "clientStarted(QString,QString,pid_t,QString,bool,int)", false);
> > and do whatever you want in its clientStarted() should be enough for =
now.
> > But if you want to make any changes, please tell me. I'm currently
> > rewriting the code a bit ( see my other mails ).
> =

> Just a thougt, what about an (global?) option along the lines of "havin=
> started app X ignore further start requests until the app is 'running'"=
=2E I
> think it would be Ok to limit this, maybe to requests originating from =
the
> "desktop" (eg, if you do alt-f2 cmd, alt-f2 cmd, quickly then you get t=
wo).
Also a yes and no. This restricts the user's right to *really* start an
app twice like two konqueoror windows. When I log in for example, I'm
clicking mail, konqueror as filemanager and konqueor as browser as well
as kppp to dial in. In this case, the start of the second konq window
would be prohibited and I would have to perform the starting again. And
this is really a behavior that absolutely no desktop environment has.
Thanks for your input anyway; I don't want to make it bad but I think
that isn't a good solution :-) Cheers,

Ralf
-- =

Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org