List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesktop wait cursor
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-05-08 12:51:46

Dne út 8. kvìten 2001 14:42 Torsten Rahn napsal(a):
[snip]

> Right. Most users don't notice the tiny little animation on the taskbar
> (unless someone tells them or they see it by accident).
> This is a big advantage of the "busycursor"-solution.
> Most users who start an application _do_not_ look at the taskbar.
> They focus by far most of the time on the mouse-pointer, because that's the
> location where they can manipulate the desktop.
> Therefore changing the mousecursor while pointing it over a busy
> application is the best solution I can think of currently.

 There's no busy application when starting a new app except for the app
itself, so you the cursor must be changed for the whole desktop. Probably not
a big problem though.

> >  This is going to be a little problem, since AFAIK all widgets may
> > specify their cursor and it can't be globally overriden. And I don't
> > think that
>
> Still gnome can do it (they have an application which makes it possible
> to choose between three ways to indicate the launch of an application.

 Stupid me. It's easy, they must be simply creating a new borderless window
containing only a look-like-busycursor pixmap. But as I said, this changes
the cursor for everything.

> > changing the cursor is the only and best way of doing it. It can be
> > easily made that you get a little splashscreen for every app as a startup
>
> splashscreens
> - do hide a big part of the screen
> - might hide away their information before the user can read it leaving the
> user in a bit uncertain state ...
> - are tooo flashy to be used as a startup-notification. There's a large
> part of users who feel rather offended by splashscreens.
>
> > notification, or you can even write an app that will do 'beep beep'
>
> "beep beep" can be missunderstood as a warning-signal.
> The common way (which is used in all popular OSes like MacOS, OS/2,
> Windoze, etc. ...) is changing the cursor ... That's what people understand
> and that's what they are used to.

 Well I was just joking here, simply meaning that you can write any startup
notification you want.

> Greetings,
> Tackat

 Lubos Lunak