List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: System Configure tool
From:       Cristian Tibirna <tibirna () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-05 19:32:29

On Saturday 05 May 2001 14:40, Charles Samuels wrote:

> I'm doing this for the users that are lucky enough to use a sensible
> distro, or a distro that I use.

The vague idea is nice, the explanation you give is wrong. The implications
can be the worst. KDE was *always* (and I hope it will always be)
distribution-agnostic. This is most remarkable given the quantity of KDE
developers paid by distributions.

"This is for the users that use the distribution I use" is in clear conflict
with KDE precepts and rules. And puts up for a sure refusal of your code.
Now, if you - as I get the *nice* vague idea - will find a way to write a
generic background (a la /etc/rc.config in SuSE) and the get KDE developers
to build system interfaces to this background for at least the 4-5 most
popular linux distros *and* at least Solaris, then all can be very successful.

--
Cristian Tibirna .. tibirna@sympatico.ca
PhD Student .. ctibirna@giref.ulaval.ca .. www.giref.ulaval.ca/~ctibirna