List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Icons in KDE-CVS (was: Re: Possible cause of kivio problems)
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 17:44:48

Hi,

> >Apart from the legal issues I'm not very keen on making KDE look more like
> >Windows than it needs to.
> Another good reason to have talked to us.  We have all the icons, but they
> didn't get put in due to people forgetting.  Max had used some MS icons as
> place holders and then forgot (our mistake), he is putting in the new icons
> and fixing a couple of other things now.

Great! This is a general complain though which is valid for _all_ icons in
kde-cvs. Everybody here: Do not use MS-icons at all! Not even as
place-holders.
The reason is that some people here (like me) haven't used windows
for a long time and it's sometimes really hard to identify some icons as
Windows/Netscape/or what-ever-icons. There are some icons where even I found
out only recently that they were not original artwork. If you really can't do
without using Windows(or whatever)-icons because you're an excellent coder
but a really bad bad artist, please drop a mail to icons@kde.org so that I
know about icons which are only meant to be placeholders.

While this might sound to some people like a not-so-important-issue it
_is_ quite important for PR-reasons. People who look at an
application-screenshot  which uses Windows-icons might think that this
application is a Windows-Application (or even worse: a cheap rip-off).

So having KDE-icons where-ever possible is important to make sure that people
_know_ "this is KDE" on the first glimpse. In some situtations it makes sense
to make the icons look similar to the Windows-icons for usability-reasons
(people don't want to learn new metaphors each day). Still the policy in
KDE- CVS is: MS-Windows-icons aren't appreciated.

> >But it looks like a mimetype-icon. Could you tell your artist too remove
> > the generic mimetype-paper behind that footstep (and make the footstep
> > therefore larger) or to replace it by a non-mimetype-like-paper
> >(as in the kword-icon). I consider the icon which is currently chosen
> >a usability-bug. Thanks in advance.
> ok - I don't understand any of that :), but I will forward the information

Well, the simple version is that the application-icon for kugar looks like
a document (-icon). This is misleading.

> to the artist and get you an update.

:-) Thanks!

Greetings,