List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 17:36:34

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 18:56, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Die, 01 Mai 2001, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > I really doubt the average developer is able to look through an
> > automake-generated Makefile and find an error in "a matter of minutes".
>
> you look into Makefile.am of course ;-)

When the problem is in the Makefile.am, I consider myself lucky :-).

> writing a mail could help. even within minutes most of the time ;-)

Yes, I don't dispute that. But in practice it's not 100% reliable. Having a
fairly good solution in case a problem happens is not a substitute to
preventing the problem in the first place.

> This wasn't a random commit by a beginner, but still everybody is only
> human. you can not avoid that, even with an ACL, because then I'll break
> kdelibs compilation inside khtml another time and you can start crying
> again ;-)

I agree, ACLs are the wrong solution to this problem. I never claimed they
were, just that I understood why Shawn wanted them.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org