List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-01 15:08:38

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 15:51, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> I apologize in advance for jumping in something which isn't of my business,
> but I really disagree here.
>
> On Tuesday 01 May 2001 17:21, David Faure wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I really don't see where's the problem. A set of GPL widgets
> > was moved in a common place so that other apps could use them.
> > What extra work ? The stuff has been moved, it still works in kivio,
> > and this makes it possible to use the same widgets in kword, kspread etc.
> > This improves consistency in KOffice, and thus was a good move.
>
> No, it wasn't.
>
> From a software engineering point of view, it was certainly a good move.
> However, Shawn here is trying to enforce the stability of a product. Product
> as in "commercial product with a fair bit of money involved, customers
> waiting, etc...". So IMHO there is no question that this move was completely
> wrong.

Prove me that the move broke stability. The classes are somewhere else. So ?
BTW, the customers aren't using the CVS version. When the 2 missing icons are
re-added it should work as before.

> If I jump in KOffice cvs and start moving files around and make you lose
> hours or even days before you recover, I don't think you would appreciate it
> one bit, even if the change is perfeclty justified from a programming
> standpoint. Even less if your app was stable at that point.

Why does this make anyone lose hours or days ???????????
I'm sorry but this is really nonsense. Nothing has been changed,
only moved to make available to other apps.

> The GPL doesn't grant you the right to break other people's code.

Sure.

/me sick of all this