List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Possible cause of kivio problems
From:       Daniel Molkentin <molkentin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-01 14:54:02

Am Dienstag 01 Mai 2001 16:45 schrieb Shawn Gordon:
> > > if they were actually there
> >
> >I see textcolor there but not pencolor and fillcolor indeed.
> >I guess he forgot to cvs add them. Laurent?
> >This happens all the time with cvs, BTW :)
>
> which is another argument for ACL it seems

not neccesarly...

> >Sorry, I really don't see where's the problem. A set of GPL widgets
> >was moved in a common place so that other apps could use them.
> >What extra work ? The stuff has been moved, it still works in kivio,
> >and this makes it possible to use the same widgets in kword, kspread etc.
> >This improves consistency in KOffice, and thus was a good move.
> >
> >"outrageous" ? Give me a break.
> >If you don't want other koffice apps to use those widgets, then kivio
> >isn't GPL.
>
> What is outrageous is that a major surgery job was done on Kivio without
> any discussion whatsoever with us, and things were broken in the
> process.  What is outrageous is this was done on the day of the beta
> release.  The idea on a beta is do to bug fixes, not wholesale changes to
> the code, and it doesn't all work in Kivio now, that is the point.  Maybe
> if someone had said "Hey Shawn, it would be cool to have this and this from
> Kivio for all of Koffice, will you slice it out for us and stick it here"
> that would have been a better way to go.  I don't recall even seeing a
> discussion on it, but I'm not on koffice-devel, I only read the summaries,
> so maybe I missed it.
>
> Again, I thought project maintainers had a little more contact with their
> projects, at least this is what we were assured when we put Kivio in
> Koffice, and was why we ultimately agreed to do it.

I'd suggest to work like konqueror hackers do  on kfm-devel:

1.) koffice-devel should be the communcation platform
2.) All major pachtes / design proposals should be discussed there
3.) Project owner should double check commits anyway
4.) Non-KOffice developers should _generally_ post the patches

This filters out / prevents 90% of bogus commits within the first days after
commit. I think this is a quite good relation considering the fact that
everyone can contribute w/o the need of ACL's.

Dunno how it works ATM but it sounds that this is what you want :)
What do you think?

</daniel>

PS: Are theKompany Developers on currently on koffice-devel?
--
KDE 2.1 - Conquer your Desktop!
http://www.kde.org