List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Kaboodle
From:       Neil Stevens <multivac () fcmail ! com>
Date:       2001-03-29 21:37:30

On Thursday 29 March 2001 01:16 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
 > I don't see the reason why we should have a media player and a
 > lightwight media player.

OK, here's the long version of why Noatun and Kaboodle are different apps:

The relationship between Noatun and Kaboodle is much like that between
KWord and KWrite, or Pixie and KView.  Superficially they seem to do the
same thing, but the two apps are designed to be used in different ways.

Noatun is a good music player: It's set up to have you load all your
files in a playlist, turn on some effects or not, and just let it run
all the time.  Noatun works really well in one's session, because once
you load a playlist, you don't ever have to load it again.  It can just
run and run and run.

If I run noatun as a music player, and have my hand-tuned playlist all
set, I won't want to use noatun for clicking on files in KMail or
Konqueror.  It'll mess up my playlist.  That's a tradeoff.

I had thought about this for some time, but it wasn't until Kaiman was
gone that it became more than a theoretical concern.  I saw two
solutions: one is to have noatun work in two modes.  The other is to
just make a separate app out of the new mode.

Someone who only uses media files in one way may not need both Noatun
and Kaboodle.  One or the other will suffice.  But playing background
music is a task quite different viewing a movie.  mpeglib might not be
ready for this until after KDE 2.2, but eventually Kaboodle is going to
be able to play videos just like aKtion does - with the video embedded.

OK, that's one argument, and that was my primary motivation for writing
Kaboodle.  However, several other advantages have fallen out.  First, it
became obvious that making a KPart plugin out of Kaboodle would be very
useful.  Nikolas did it, and it seems to me he did a good job of it.

Second, I've had people tell me that while Noatun (and arts) uses more
cpu time than they would like, Kaboodle's cpu use is "like xmms."  I
think this is because of all the aRts infrastructure that Noatun sets
up, in order for the effects, visualizers, and volume control to be
possible.  If the difference between Noatun's and Kaboodle's cpu load
while playing is that big a deal to people on low-end machines, it seems
to me that it can only be beneficial to include both.

Even Charles thinks that Kaboodle would be better for associating with
WAV files than Noatun, and he thinks Noatun can do everything.  :-)

--
Neil Stevens
multivac@fcmail.com

keyserver search.keyserver.net
Fingerprint 86EA ECD4 F258 FB1B D88F 9136 4F49 90F8 CD3E 5C1C