List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Duplicated efforts and consistency (SDI/MDI in konq, konsole etc. ...)
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-03-12 20:38:59

On Monday 12 March 2001 20:19, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> As a matter of fact there is an issue that currently makes kde a
> less-consistent desktop as well as a less-rapidly-evolving-desktop than it
> could be. The following apps show it quite well:
>
> (...)

Hmm... I personally use MDI and SDI in Konq at the same time often. Like you
say, it really depends on what you're doing.

If we can come up with a generic class that lets you switch views from SDI to
MDI and vice versa it would give everyone what he/she needs at a given time.
I've always found a fixed MDI/SDI too restrictive and I would really like a
way to combine both in an app.

Maybe this can be implemented by having all parts have a handle like a
dockwidget has. Then it can be dragged out of the window to make a view a
separate SDI window and dragged back to make it an MDI child.
Any other/better ideas?

Martijn