List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       Philippe Fremy <fremy () yalbi ! com>
Date:       2001-02-22 22:47:41

Le Jeudi 22 Février 2001 19:59, Matthias Elter a écrit :
> On Thursday 22 February 2001 19:39, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 February 2001 02:28, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > > KDE 2.2 is scheduled for late summer and we would aim for a 2.3 release
> > > at the end of the year. I expect most distributors to have switched to
> > > a stable gcc3 by then. So perhaps a KDE 2.3 thats nothing but 2.2
> > > ported to Qt 3.0 would make sence. I think it is important to not try
> > > to do the porting and the move to a new platform (KDE 3.0) in one step
> > > this time. With a ported 2.3 user will profit from the Qt3 features
> > > soon while we can take our time to work on a solid 3.0 release next
> > > year.
> >
> > Well, there is a reason that the we did the upgrade to a new major Qt
> > version and a new major KDE version at the same time: both break BC and
> > we really don't want to do that if we don't really have to.
>
> Of course 2.3 will be binary incompatible to both 2.2 and 3.0. But it will
> make Qt3 features (like support for arabic and hebrew) available to users
> very soon. We can explicitely mention that the 2.3 platform is temporary
> and discourage third party developers to base apps on it.

Please consider this: even now, a lot of kde 1 application have still not
been ported to kde 2. If you make an incompatible release, a lot of
applications will also not be ported again (kde 1 and kde 2.0). So you will
decrease the number of available applications for kde, while kde needs exacly
the opposite : more and more applications.

Binary compatilbility is a _very_ good point for kde, it should not be broken
without much care and good reasons. Please keep Kde 2 as compatible as you
can, for as long as you can.

	regards,

	Philippe