List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kde promoting, mailing list wanted!
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2001-02-05 18:45:21

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Philippe Fremy wrote:

> On Monday 05 February 2001 18:25, Matthias Elter wrote:
> > On Monday 05 February 2001 18:18, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > There was a thread here recently about marketing and Kde. I am clearly
> > > not the only one who thinks kde needs more promotion and marketing,
> > > from a user standpoint and from a developer standpoint.
> > >
> > > I would like to see a list created to discuss those thing, so that we
> > > don't annoy people that don't want to hear about that.
> >
> > There is kde-pr@kde.org!
> It isn't cited on the mailing list page. And David Faure told me this list
> was more for the kde league, to discuss private kde PR problems from a
> distribution point of view, than for us, basic developers and users. I am
> ok with kde-pr staying private and I'd like a public kde-promoting list to
> be opened.

kde-pr is *not* for the KDE League (they have got their own list).
Everybody can post to it (so journalists have a single point of
contact) but reading is restricted to its members who are KDE
developers/evangelists/... who think that PR (especially in the US)
is crucial.

You don't want to discuss PR strategies in the open public. You don't
want to discuss drafts of press-release publicly. You don't want to
analyse other's PR strategies publicly. Just think about it and, I bet,
you will understand the reasons. If not so, I'll be happy to
explain it to you on a private line. ;-)

If you want to join kde-pr just post a message to it (remember:
everybody can post to it) stating why you want to join and what you
can contribute. You will understand that we want the noise on that
list on a very low level. ;-)

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 265428
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org