List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch for KAboutData for adding information about translators
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-01-04 12:31:50

On Wednesday 27 December 2000 20:58, Matthias Kiefer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add the attached patches for KAboutData and for
> KAboutApplication. It brings the ability to show the translator(s) of the
> application in the aboutDialog. I think this will give some motivation to the
> translators ;-)
> You can see, how the about dialogs looks like in the attached screenshot. The
> message about the translation teams is intended to get replaced about
> information about the translation team of the current language.
>
> Please review and say if it is ok to commit.
>

> To enable showing the translators, one have to call
> KAboutData::setTranslator(const char *names, const char *emails) with some
> dummy text marked for translation, e.g.
> aboutData.setTranslator(I18N_NOOP("NAMES OF THE
> TRANSLATORS"),I18N_NOOP("EMAIL OF THE TRANSLATORS"));
>
> Then the translators can replace this text with a comma separated list of
> names and email addresses. If there is no translation or the default language
> is used, then the texts are ignored and no translator page is shown in the
> about dialog.

This looks great to me. Please commit.

> I have added an additional class KAboutTranslator , because KAboutPerson uses
> internaly const char *, so there would be a memory leak when using it or one
> would have to keep a reference to the string in the object. Maybe someone has
> a idea how to solve this?

Hmm, I don't see the point in not using KAboutPerson.
The char * is allocated for the duration of the program anyway
since it's set to a litteral string ("blah").
I suggest to use KAboutPerson for translators too - yes, they are
persons too :-)

> Additionaly I changed KAboutPerson to use QString::fromUtf8() instead of
> QString::fromLatin1(), so it is now possible to use non-latin1 characters in
> names of developers and others.
Definitely correct.

> Please also have a look at  binary compatibility, because I had to add two
> private members to KAboutData and therefore had to create the private d
> pointer.
Looks ok.

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/