List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    theKompany.com's KDE-DB in KDE CVS
From:       Alessandro Praduroux <pradu () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2000-12-01 13:04:08

Hi all,

As someone of you already know, we're starting to move our public projects to
KDE CVS. The first project we think is ready to move is KDE-DB (formerly know
as KDB).

What is KDE-DB?
-------------

KDE-DB is a generic database access layer that offers a MS-DAO like interface
to databases. There is no native database, thought, but the low level access
is made through plugins. Actually there are plugins for MySQL (the most
advanced one), Postgres and Informix. A plugin for a flat-file database is in
future plans. (hint, hint)

KDE-DB also offers some data aware widgets and a configuration module to
setup the connections with different DBMS, along with an ioslave to browse
databases with Konqueror ;).

KDE-DB then is not an application, but a base library to give apps the
ability to access database easily

Where can we put it?
----------------

This point is open to discussion, though we think the best place for this lib
is kdelibs. Here is my proposals:

- kdelibs. After all, it's a generic library, not only office oriented. With
a lightweight file based dbms, can be easily used to implement utilities like
kjots, kab and such, unifying the different storage systems in all kde apps.
(as I said, the file based plugin isn't implemented yet)

- a module on its own. This solution has some drawbacksIMHO: if it's not in
the core package, some distros can choose not to distribute it. If it becomes
a standard for database access, users will need to download and install it
themselves. More, if it's not in the core libs it will not be widely accepted
as a standard lib, and we will end with different solutions for different
packages.

- Koffice. Can be a solution, but IMHO limits a lot the possible usages of
the library.

IMHO this is a subsystem much like arts: not every app around uses arts, but
the fact that is in kdelibs has made it the de-facto standard for mm apps.

Having such a standard also for database apps could attract more developers
to KDE, further increasing the usage of KDE also in corporate desktops.

I worked a lot in big corporations, and half of the everyday work I made was
based on M$ DAO. Maybe KDE-DB can help closing that gap with M$ platforms.

Regards,
--
Pradu