List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Michael McBride <mpmcbride7 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-10-30 4:57:34

On Sunday 29 October 2000 12:09, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Sunday 29 October 2000 12:51 wrote Falk Brettschneider:
> > Matthias Elter wrote:
> > But I agree that application names often say nothing about what it
> > actually is.
> >
> > That's why I suggest to do it like this:
> > 'KMail    (EMail Client)'
> > 'CoolMail (EMail Client)'

This is the best solution I can see.  It provides new users with a sense of
what each program does (and may occasionally cause a user to try a program
they wouldn't have before).  Meanwhile, the user will learn that her email
program is called Kmail, and will begin to look for "Kmail" when she has
comments, bug reports or questions.

When I call for support to my ISP (which has been way to often lately), to
ask them about my mail server they inevitably ask the same question:  "Are
you using Netscape or Outlook Express to get your email?".

We should work to establish the same type of name recognition.

This is also a subject which affects the documentation of KDE as well.  What
happens when the documentation for one application requires the user to use
another application?

As an example.  When documenting Kmail (to use this example excessivly), and
the documentation writer is discussing the options that can be configured
under "Settings->Configuration", the user has the option to use an external
editor for sending email.  How can the documentation refer to a specific
editor, if the user is only exposed to the applicaton as "Advanced Editor"?
What if they have a "different Advanced Editor"?

IMHO, the solution of Application name (Application Type) is the best choice
for the KMenu.  It helps new users, with minimal anoyance to advanced users.

--
Mike McBride
KDE Editorial Team