List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-10-29 21:18:54

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> > >     name=KMail
> > >     category=Mail client
> >
> > 1) Fixing all desktop files is work and even more for the translators.
>
> This can be a gradual process. If no category field is present, it will
> look just like it always did.

I will help with this.  I'm getting pretty good at categorizing software
;-).

> > 2) There is no support for "Category" in the desktop file standard.
>
> Adding an extra keyword won't break anything trying to read the desktop
> files - we should probably discuss this with the GNOME guys and others
> using desktop files, though.

Even if they don't agree, according to the standard
(http://us.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/kdelibs/kio/DESKTOP_ENTRY_STANDARD?rev=1.9)
we would just need to use:

X-KDE-Category=Mail Client

(BTW, note the capitalization, that needs to be consistent IMHO).

And giving users the choice how to display is excellent.  In fact, I see
three items of information which are relevant:  the name, the category
and the comment.  So why not offer some default settings but also let
power users adjust it to their heart's content?  E.g., name is '%N',
comment '%C', category '%X', and so the defaults would be:

  Entry = %N (%X), tooltip = %C
  Entry = %X (%N), tooltip = %C

but then anyeone can use, say,

  Entry = %N - %X, tooltip =

OR

  Entry = %X, tooltip = %N

Not hard to code and very flexible :-).

The dialog would present the default options and a button for
"Customize" where you can set the strings.

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE
http://apps.kde.com/:  The Latest in KDE Applications