List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Why the K-Menu sucks
From:       Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero () redhat ! de>
Date:       2000-10-29 20:03:56

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> I wonder how many times somebody talks about "asking [their] mother"
> vs actually doing so :-P

I do, sometimes with s/mother/sister/g - for them, I have to agree that a
description would be better than the program name. They're not willing to
experiment (i.e. start some program without knowing for sure what it
does... Relic from their Windoze times, everything unknown you start must
be a virus. ;) ), but they can usually figure out how something works if
they've used something similar before, and handling KMail is not that
different from handling Netscape Messenger or the likes.

Also, if we replace KMail with Magellan or something, for the same type of
beginners, not seeing the name change would be a benefit - they can get
used to a new UI, but they won't find the mail client if it has a
different name.

Guess there are (at least) two different types of newbies. ;)

LLaP
bero