List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Captions in KDE
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () divan ! troll ! no>
Date:       2000-10-28 14:59:49

> On Saturday 28 October 2000 10:14, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
>
> [cut excellent plead that I 99% agree with]

[snip]

> And the classic counter-example would be KNode. Would we call it Node? News
> Reader (*shudder*)?
>
> So, this seems to bring up a different, more complex perspective IMHO.
>
> And to confuse things even more, Konsole has another KNode-like name, IMO,
> yet the question "what's Konsole? It's spelled wrong!" came much too often
> from my experimental pets (sorry, my lab mates :-).

My konsole never says konole. If you start it from kicker, it says
"Terminal-Terminal"

But the solution is simple. Nobody runs a stock konsole. Konsole either
serves as a Shell (That's the default), or depending on the session as
"Linux Shell", "Midnight Commander" or "Root Console". All perfect and
sufficient captions. Instead of "Shell", I would even say "Unix" (KDE1
once did that before beta1, but people almost killed me for that ;-)

For KNode, it's a bit tricky. I would probably go for
  "Newsgroup what.ever.is.current"

or simply
  "what.ever.is.current"

> Once again, I mostly agree with your view. Perhaps that instead a long
> discussion (this tends to be the result lately on the lists), I should start
> build an inventory of confusing situations and then we try to come up with a
> solution that would spouse the most of them.

Sounds reasonable, please go ahead. The main difference in thinking is that
we have to consider the names in terms of usability, not in terms of free
advertising space for the project. That's what about boxes and splash screens
are for. And help pages :)

But probably we'll end up with a configuration option "User captions yes/no"
anyway ...

Matthias