List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Small branch survey
From:       mosfet <mosfet () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-26 22:04:42

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Thursday 26 October 2000 15:52, mosfet wrote:
> > I don't know about this. I am encouraging Mandrake to test the new
> > branch in Cooker for future releases because it contains so many IMHO
> > essential improvements - esp. in the UI.
>
> I don't know if I understood you well, but I seem to read that you encourage
> Mandrake to test HEAD in their beta testing distro.  If by any chance it
> becomes possible to release a stable distro containing HEAD-state code, this
> only hurts both the distro and KDE. Because
>
> 1) translations aren't there (at least not correctly)

For almost all the existing code they are. For new code, this adds
features that aren't even in 2.0. So what would you have, new features
that may not have all translations or not have the feature at all? I
know my answer ;-)

Plus, Mandrakesoft has translators as well ;-)

This is one of the places KDE is f*cked up. Almost all projects add
features first, go through a couple releases, and then update
translations when they are ready. Only KDE freezes things and stops up
the whole development process waiting for translations.

Luckily, it looks like we are going to change this.

> 2) bugs and test-quality features are *adding up* to the lates stable branch.

More people are bugfixing in head than the 2.0 branch. Very few even
have it checked out ;-)

> I believe a distributor has all the interest in the world to only use the
> stable branch as official packages and eventually (if really so much
> necessary) offer HEAD-based packages separately.

I believe that people should use the best code available, and that's
head. We of course have an extensive testing process and can manage
components individually if something is not ready. For example, Lars and
co. are planning to add a lot of cool stuff to khtml. If it's not ready
by the next Mandrake release we could always use the old 2.0 one. No
problem since it's all bin compatible :) This is one of the reasons we
have Cooker ;-)