List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: pixie's splash
From:       Lotzi Boloni <boloni () cplane ! com>
Date:       2000-08-30 18:41:35

> >   Hmm... about xv having a broken GUI - I am not that sure about it. I
> > keep going back to it whenever I really have to arrange large collections
> > of photos - none of the other programs come even close in usability,
> > stability, minimum number of clicks needed to perform tasks and the speed
> > of the image previewer and integrated file manager.
>
> How exactly does a spalsh screen as default interface help you to arrange
> large collections of photos. What does the speed of the previewer and file
> manager have to do with the GUI?

  As a default interface? You mean, the same thing with an empty face would
be better?

   Ok, about the gui. There are three ways to use xv:

1. To see a picture, pass it as a parameter. No splash, it just displays the
picture. No GUI needed. Exit with "q".

2. To browse a directory full of pictures: start xv, bring up the browser
(one key), double click on the pictures you want to see. No editing GUI is
visible.

3. To edit one or several pictures: start xv, bring up the editor window
and/or the color adjustment window.

  What is nice in it is that:

-keeps the number of keys/clicks to minimum for all the tasks
-no unnecessary gui elements are visible
-and it still has menus, guis for all the things if it is needed.

  For example, GIMP or PhotoShop is unusable as an image viewers. Many image
cataloguers are annoying if you just want to see a single picture. And so on.

  Now about having a splash or having an empty window when you fire it up
without a parameter... I really think it is irrelevant and up to the
developer.

                         Lotzi