List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    kasbar applet -> kdenonbeta
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-08-29 8:54:15

Hi

Before you cry "No!", here is the current situation: Kicker does not provide
a real API for toplevel applets. The reason for this is simple: In my opinion
applets are definded as applications that live in the panel. Kasbar and the
external taskbar should be standalone applications that live in the window
manager dock just like kicker itself. Alternatively we need to add a clean
extension interface for toplevel extensions to kicker.

The current situation is nothing but an ugly hack! Try to remove the kasbar,
in lack of a real API, somebody added "delete this" code to it's mouse click
event! Of course kicker does not notice and thinks it's still present.

As I'm not interested in the kasbar feature and nobody seems to want to do it
the right way I'm going to move it to kdenonbeta.

The external taskbar seems to be a very often requested feature so even if I
don't need it myself I'm going to spend some time on fixing it.

The limited support for toplevel applets in kicker will be removed as it is
a hack and courses more bug reports than it's worth.

Bye,
Matthias

--
Matthias Elter