List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: suggestion for creating shortcuts
From:       joerg habenicht <j.habenicht () stud ! uni-hannover ! de>
Date:       2000-06-23 7:21:11

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, David Faure wrote:

> You mean activating the third tab when the dialog shows up ?

Exactly.

> Maybe in that case.... but in many other cases the name is important.
> And even in this case it can be - the whole point in "captions", for instance
> in bookmarks, is that one may want to set a name different than the
> actual URL (which may be long, ugly, contain a query, etc.)
>
> I'm not convinced.

Then let me explain further.
I think of creating a shortcut like calling the creator dialog,
typing in the shortcut destination and be done. Actually there is no need
for me to know how to name the .desktop file, except that is should be
something similar to the destination (the default name doesn't help me).

That doesn't mean to take away control from the user !
If the user want to have another name than
www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/?ishtis=%bla§ß87=(/%.desktop
than for shure you can change it by selecting the first tab.

The improovement is in the easy creating of shortcuts or links just by
typing the destination and <ENTER>.
In this case a name like <destination>.desktop is selected. The user
has a sounding shortcut on desktop.
If it is not soundy enough, you can go the normal way of renaming the
.desktop file

And for bookmarks it is even better, you get a predefined suggestion for
the name when selecting the filename tab in the shortcut creator.
If you like it, just accept by clicking <OK> or <ENTER>.

cu,
Joerg

--
THE full automatic planets host
:-)                            http://www.planetsserver.com

"Das Leben sollte nicht so ernst genommen werden,
 man überlebt es sowieso nicht."