List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: suggestion for creating shortcuts
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-28 23:24:31

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:21:11AM +0200, joerg habenicht wrote:
> > Maybe in that case.... but in many other cases the name is important.
> > And even in this case it can be - the whole point in "captions", for instance
> > in bookmarks, is that one may want to set a name different than the
> > actual URL (which may be long, ugly, contain a query, etc.)
> >
> > I'm not convinced.
>
> Then let me explain further.
> I think of creating a shortcut like calling the creator dialog,
> typing in the shortcut destination and be done. Actually there is no need
> for me to know how to name the .desktop file, except that is should be
> something similar to the destination (the default name doesn't help me).
>
> That doesn't mean to take away control from the user !
> If the user want to have another name than
> www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/?ishtis=%bla§ß87=(/%.desktop
> than for shure you can change it by selecting the first tab.
>
> The improovement is in the easy creating of shortcuts or links just by
> typing the destination and <ENTER>.
> In this case a name like <destination>.desktop is selected. The user
> has a sounding shortcut on desktop.
> If it is not soundy enough, you can go the normal way of renaming the
> .desktop file

I just implemented something inspired from that, but not using the
properties dialog anymore.

Log message:
Instead of the properties dialog, show the simple line dialog to enter
the URL and use that as both the name of the file and the URL in it.

Please try it and tell me what you think about it.

http://home.clara.net/faure/, http://www.konqueror.org/