List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDesktop icon spacing?
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-05 22:03:27

Geert Jansen wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Hmm... who has been playing with icon grid spacing in kdesktop in the
> > past few days.  When I updated today, I got this:
> >
> > http://devel-home.kde.org/~granroth/hosed-layout.png
> >
> > This looked fine just a few days ago.
>
> The problem is that the gridsize of KonqIconViewWidget is calculated
> somewhat different now. Previously, it was fixed at 70, now it is the
> "Desktop" icon size + 20. This will give either a size of 52 or 68.
>
> Now we can just make the grid more wider. This will probably give
> acceptable results for fonts that are not too big... Can you experiment a
> little with the values given to setGridX() and setGridY() in the
> file: kdebase/libkonq/konqiconviewwidget.cpp,
> method: KonqIconViewWidget::KonqIconViewWidget ?

Yep, that did it.  I changed it from 'sz + 20' to 'sz + 26' and things
look MUCH better...

This was configurable in KDE 1.x, wasn't it?

> A somewhat related problem is the rather awkward text breaking in
> QIconView. Currenlty, it only breaks words at spaces, but it should
> consider much more break characters, like the hyphen, underscore and
> period. I once contacted Troll Tech about this, but it was too late
> to be included in Qt 2.1 Reggie told me he was working on a totally
> new richtext system, which is supposed to appear in the next
> version. But that's not very usefull to us now..

I agree... the wrapping algorithm definitely needs work.  I wonder if
we should have word wrap OFF by default.

Hmm.. now that I look, though, it seems that the word-wrap setting in
Look N Feel->Desktop->Icons->Label is ignored?
           KDE -- Putting a Friendly Face on Unix