List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDesktop icon spacing?
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-06-04 14:27:53

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Hmm... who has been playing with icon grid spacing in kdesktop in the
> past few days.  When I updated today, I got this:
>
> http://devel-home.kde.org/~granroth/hosed-layout.png
>
> This looked fine just a few days ago.

The problem is that the gridsize of KonqIconViewWidget is calculated
somewhat different now. Previously, it was fixed at 70, now it is the
"Desktop" icon size + 20. This will give either a size of 52 or 68.

Now we can just make the grid more wider. This will probably give
acceptable results for fonts that are not too big... Can you experiment a
little with the values given to setGridX() and setGridY() in the
file: kdebase/libkonq/konqiconviewwidget.cpp,
method: KonqIconViewWidget::KonqIconViewWidget ?

A somewhat related problem is the rather awkward text breaking in
QIconView. Currenlty, it only breaks words at spaces, but it should
consider much more break characters, like the hyphen, underscore and
period. I once contacted Troll Tech about this, but it was too late to be
included in Qt 2.1 Reggie told me he was working on a totally new richtext
system, which is supposed to appear in the next version. But that's not
very usefull to us now..

Greetings,
--
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>