List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDesktop icon spacing?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-05 22:45:23

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 03:03:27PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Geert Jansen wrote:
> > Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > > Hmm... who has been playing with icon grid spacing in kdesktop in the
> > > past few days.  When I updated today, I got this:
> > >
> > > http://devel-home.kde.org/~granroth/hosed-layout.png
> > >
> > > This looked fine just a few days ago.
> >
> > The problem is that the gridsize of KonqIconViewWidget is calculated
> > somewhat different now. Previously, it was fixed at 70, now it is the
> > "Desktop" icon size + 20. This will give either a size of 52 or 68.
> >
> > Now we can just make the grid more wider. This will probably give
> > acceptable results for fonts that are not too big... Can you experiment a
> > little with the values given to setGridX() and setGridY() in the
> > file: kdebase/libkonq/konqiconviewwidget.cpp,
> > method: KonqIconViewWidget::KonqIconViewWidget ?
>
> Yep, that did it.  I changed it from 'sz + 20' to 'sz + 26' and things
> look MUCH better...
>
> This was configurable in KDE 1.x, wasn't it?

Yes, but only for kdesktop whereas we have icon views everywhere now.
This could be added to the icons config perhaps.

> > A somewhat related problem is the rather awkward text breaking in
> > QIconView. Currenlty, it only breaks words at spaces, but it should
> > consider much more break characters, like the hyphen, underscore and
> > period. I once contacted Troll Tech about this, but it was too late
> > to be included in Qt 2.1 Reggie told me he was working on a totally
> > new richtext system, which is supposed to appear in the next
> > version. But that's not very usefull to us now..
>
> I agree... the wrapping algorithm definitely needs work.  I wonder if
> we should have word wrap OFF by default.
I would vote against that (I HATE truncated filenames), but as usual with
defaults, discussing is not easy.

> Hmm.. now that I look, though, it seems that the word-wrap setting in
> Look N Feel->Desktop->Icons->Label is ignored?
Because somebody added it but didn't implement it. The word wrap setting
in Desktop/Appearance and File Manager/Appearance are the working ones.
Maybe the one who added that in Icons thought I'd implement it ? Can't
remember saying yes, but just "it's a good idea" ;-)

http://home.clara.net/faure/