List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kiconloader is scary, and broken
From:       <pbrown () redhat ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 20:37:03

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Geert Jansen wrote:

> > > s,icons,apps/$APPDIR here..
> >
> > Right! and this is the problem.  Many programs have simply dumped an
> > "program icon" in $KDEDIR/share/icons.  The iconloader doesn't find this!
>
> Ok, true, I misread. But still I think the $KDEDIR/share/icons toplevel
> directory should not be polluted by icons, as it contains a rather
> complex subhierarchy. ( The icon "themes" )

OK, please go tell that to Applix, Loki, and the like about the stuff they
have already released.

Come on, we need to keep some degrees of stability between KDE 1 and KDE 2
where possible.  I think we are making a big mistake if we can't do this.

While we shouldn't promote polluting the toplevel directory, we should
fall back to looking in it if all else fails.  Such a simple change! Why
don't we make it.

This isn't even KDE apps I'm talking about, but now 3rd party, *shipping*
programs.  This is the kind of breakage that gives Linux a bad name.

--
  Preston Brown
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat, Inc.