List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kiconloader is scary, and broken
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-05-30 20:36:53

Geert Jansen wrote:

> pbrown@redhat.com wrote:

> > > s,icons,apps/$APPDIR here..
> >
> > Right! and this is the problem.  Many programs have simply dumped an
> > "program icon" in $KDEDIR/share/icons.  The iconloader doesn't find this!
>
> Ok, true, I misread. But still I think the $KDEDIR/share/icons toplevel
> directory should not be polluted by icons, as it contains a rather
> complex subhierarchy. ( The icon "themes" )
>
> I think we can ask the authors to change their (KDE2) apps. They need to
> port their sources to the new iconloader anyway, because it is not
> completely source compatible. Asking them to change one more line in the
> Makefile.am's seems very be acceptable.
>
> Which apps are you referring to?
>
> KDE1 apps will of course use the old iconloader which does look in
> $KDEDIR/share/icons.

I think, Preston talks more about 3rd party applications that do not use
either but just install into the dirs where KDE1 expects them to be. And
it would be stupid if KDE2 would expect them somewhere else. We're
talking
about .desktop files here, not applications. But I think,
locate('pixmap')
is already in place and share/icons could be added to that path

Greetings, Stephan

--
... but you ain't had mine