List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kiconloader is scary, and broken
From:       Geert Jansen <g.t.jansen () stud ! tue ! nl>
Date:       2000-05-30 20:37:54

Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Geert Jansen wrote:
> > Ok, true, I misread. But still I think the $KDEDIR/share/icons toplevel
> > directory should not be polluted by icons, as it contains a rather
> > complex subhierarchy. ( The icon "themes" )
> >
> > I think we can ask the authors to change their (KDE2) apps. They need to
> > port their sources to the new iconloader anyway, because it is not
> > completely source compatible. Asking them to change one more line in the
> > Makefile.am's seems very be acceptable.
> >
> > Which apps are you referring to?
>
> Old .kdelnk files, I imagine.  The kdelnk files will correspond to the
> KDE 1.x way of doing things... but the icon loader used to load the
> icon lists in the kdelnk is the KDE2 one.

Ok, now I begin to understand. Preston was referring to KDE1 apps with KDE1
.kdelnk files, installed in a KDE2 system. Then, kicker and konqy and co
cannot find the icon for the desktop entry.

It is completely trivial to add another directory to the fallback path. See
KIconLoader::addAppDir(). If you feel it should be done, please make it so.
But I'd rather not have dozens of compatiblity directories there. It would
make thing very ugly.

Preston: you could have had the same effect just by calmly explaining the
problem, instead of calling things ugly names.

Greetings,
 --
    Geert Jansen                       email: <g.t.jansen at stud.tue.nl>
    Phylosopher, Physicist,                    email: <jansen at kde.org>