List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       tibirna () kde ! org
Date:       2000-04-28 3:29:33

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> XEmacs is not an editor that 'users' use. lyx is ported to KDE. xfig
> is, well, disgusting. I can hardly understand it myself, never mind

Rik, I bet you didn't try to use xfig for more than 5 minutes. It's true
it has a lot of usability impairments, but, believe me, for a TeX/LaTeX
user, it's the vector graphics heaven. You can even do LaTeX math into it,
and conform to the options of the xfig fig embedding document :-)

I always languish thinking of a KDE-ported xfig, each time I have to use
it. But I *have* to use it. Most engineers have.

That said (and it's offtopic), let's not try to lump in a ruled-out list
all the apps that aren't KDE. One of our main goals and prides is that KDE
doesn't impede the desktop use, but rather enhances it. This rather
includes mandatorily than excludes non-KDE apps.

> The point: What do people actually use outside of KDE ? Is there a huge
> number of apps, enough that we really should think about being 'compatible' ?
>
> I say no.

I'd say yes. Finance apps (I use cbb). Maple (I need it second to air
and food, many do - 100% of my lab mates, KDE users). StarOffice (for
another 5-6 months) or WP (companies will swear by it).

Once again, I find KDE's ability of doing Mac bar strongly exciting. I use
it too, about 50% of the time, according on the mood. I just thing will
disserve us if we make it a default. Better offer a very easy switch
and default it to off (a startup wizard is best).

--
Cristian Tibirna