List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-04-28 3:50:09

Rik Hemsley wrote:

[ ... ]

> The point: What do people actually use outside of KDE ? Is there a huge
> number of apps, enough that we really should think about being 'compatible' ?

	* Netscape -- email, browser, composer
	* Mozilla
	* RealPlayer
	* StarOffice
	* WordPerfect
	* wxftp
	* linuxconf
	* ImageMagick
	* gimp
	* Canvas
	* electriceyes
	* xmms
	* gvim

Timewise, if you exclude konsole, I spend more time using these apps
than KDE apps at the moment (excluding the desktop ones, of course).
Granted this will change for me once Koffice/Konqueror/KMail are more
mature, but I'm not sure it will change for everyone and in any event it
may take a while.

Not to mention the risk of negative publicity -- KDE will likely be
accused of making itself incompatible with other applications, which
could hurt "mindshare", and of being difficult to use.  (You may have
noticed that most reviewers come from a Windows, not a Mac, background,
and if they find it confusing I'm sure they won't hesitate to say "KDE
is hard to use, confusing and inconsistent").  I would be much happier
with this if at least Gnome apps were compatible.

Personally, I think the move will be a public relations blunder.  On the
other hand, I'm pretty sure the point is rather moot since most likely
distros will change the default away from the Mac menubar.

Ciao,

Andreas