List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 4:54:40

> > Second, it gives us yet one way to differentiate us from being a
> > "windows-clone".  I'll admit that this is a very minor point... but
> > since we're already going with a different widget set and panel and
> > such, it couldn't hurt here either.
> But this isn't IMHO. I attended the "Berlin Linux Infodays" a few weeks
> ago and talked to a lot of people (many Windows converts), and they told
> me "hey, this looks like Windows". But they realized a lot of places,
> where it was different (similar functionality, but slightly different
> look/behavior) and they asked, "why do they make it extra hard for us,
> just to be different?".

I had EXACTLY the same experience at the multimedia-fairs where I have
attended for four days and on Cebit where I was for two days. The
most-frequently-heard question was:

"Does it work like Windows?".

And this was obviously a live-or-die-criterium for these IT-people who
mostly were in important positions at big and well-known companies.
Exactly NOBODY asked me about MacOS and nobody cared about it once
I spoke about MacOS.

And many people asked us the same question:
 "why do you make it extra hard for us just to be different?"

An incredible huge reason for KDEs SUCCESS in the past has been that
it looks and works like Windows. Competing projects which have
focussed on "being different for the only reason of being different"
 have been dismissed as "developers dreams" (And this is certainly not
because of using a language like C).

Tackat