List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: PROPOSAL: "Mac" menubar as default
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-04-27 4:54:41

> the things that piss off "real" UI folk... people often perceive speed

What me REALLY pisses off is UI-folk that doesn't care about reality
and the circumstances and the situation that we are dealing with.
KDE is NOT an island on the desktop. It's not a perfect closed world
where things only work one way. Unfortunately people still work with
apps like Xmms, Gimp, Netscape, Xchat, and a great couple of
GNOME/Motif/Athena/ Xform-apps.

Not to forget all the Linux apps that are being ported by
many companies now using the efforts of the WINE-project.
These apps will work fundamentally different from KDE then, too.

If you expect that people won't use these apps in the near future
anymore then you probably need a reality-check.
And if you accept that these tools exist and will also be used
for about 20-50% of the time in average then you'll realize that
it makes people run up the wall in angryness that they have to use a
BIG percentage of their apps in one way while they have to change
the way they are dealing with applications FUNDAMENTALLY for other
apps. People will be rather angry about KDE then.

> First, the Mac menubar is proven to be up to FIVE times faster for
> searching and selecting a menu item.  This is as opposed to the

If we introduce it in KDE only (and we only can introduce it in KDE)
then it will slow down many users significantly. People will
work SLOWER than they used to work  as they have to deal with two
fundamentally different concepts of using applications: those
which are part of KDE and those which aren't. Switching between
both kinds of apps enforces ALWAYS a few seconds for the average user
to think about:

"Where the f*ck is the menubar this time located??"

Therefore your one and only reason to use the MacOS-bar is no
reason at all as soon as you look beyond the world of UI-dreamland.

> Second, it gives us yet one way to differentiate us from being a
> "windows-clone".  I'll admit that this is a very minor point... but

absolute nonsense. Well for the reason of differentiating from Windows
I propose to have circular menus (which have also proven to be faster)
triangular windows and giving away KDE at Toys R Us where it
belongs then.

Tackat