List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    KTalkEdit reading for testing
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2000-04-19 18:22:01

As I mentioned last week, I have been looking at how to add support
for speech synthesis to KDE 2. I have just uploaded ktalkedit, a
talking editor (a hack of KEdit) so that people can have a play. I'd
be interested in any thoughts, and of course any help!

You will need to have Festival installed to use this app, see
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/download.html
I recomend using the RPMs to install it as it's a pain to build it
yourself.

At the moment it is just a hack, but it already supports 'read text'
and 'read selection', in addition there is a first step towards  a
screen reader. To make this progress much further I will need some
extra methods in Qt (many of which should have been there already
IMHO). For example the screen reader can tell you the names of menu
items, but it can't tell you the names of menus because of a
limitation in the QMenuBar API.

Rich.
--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk