List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KTalkEdit reading for testing
From:       Espen Sand <espensa () online ! no>
Date:       2000-04-19 20:15:08

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Richard Moore wrote:
> As I mentioned last week, I have been looking at how to add support
> for speech synthesis to KDE 2. I have just uploaded ktalkedit, a
> talking editor (a hack of KEdit) so that people can have a play. I'd
> be interested in any thoughts, and of course any help!
>
> You will need to have Festival installed to use this app, see
> http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/download.html
> I recomend using the RPMs to install it as it's a pain to build it
> yourself.
>
> At the moment it is just a hack, but it already supports 'read text'
> and 'read selection', in addition there is a first step towards  a
> screen reader. To make this progress much further I will need some
> extra methods in Qt (many of which should have been there already
> IMHO). For example the screen reader can tell you the names of menu
> items, but it can't tell you the names of menus because of a
> limitation in the QMenuBar API.

hmmm, perhaps I should add this to khexedit. Could be fun to listen to
100 kB of hex dump. (sorry, could not resist ;-))

I am looking forward to test this. Seems I've got a new excuse to
spend some time to fix my sound setup. This is something that could
go into the html widget. kmail could start to speak then.

--
Espen Sand