List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Session Management Server README
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () uwix ! alt ! na>
Date:       2000-04-10 15:20:03

On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> Am Son, 09 Apr 2000 schrieb David Faure:
> > Bug report:
> >
> >   797 ?        Z      0:00 [kwelcome <defunct>]
> >   803 ?        Z      0:00 [dcopserver <defunct>]
> >   804 ?        Z      0:00 [ksmserver <defunct>]
> >   806 ?        Z      0:00 [kded <defunct>]
> >   807 ?        Z      0:00 [kicker <defunct>]
> >   808 ?        Z      0:00 [kdesktop <defunct>]
> >   809 ?        Z      0:00 [kio_uiserver <defunct>]
> >   810 ?        Z      0:00 [kcookiejar <defunct>]
> >   814 ?        Z      0:00 [konsole <defunct>]
> >
> > pstree shows all those processes to be children of ksmserver.
> > Unless I'm wrong, they are all KUniqueApplication, i.e. they fork
> > on startup. I guess the fix would be a SIGCHLD handler in ksmserver ?
>
> Yes.
>
> But I wonder how kwelcome, dcopserver, kded, kicker, kdesktop could become
> children of ksmserver. According to startkde they are launched _before_
> ksmserver. But it's certainly true for konsole.

That's easy to explain. The shell that runs startkde is the parent
of all launched apps. The last line of startkde "execs" ksmserver.
In other words, the shell transforms itself into ksmserver which
then inherits all children of the shell. ;-) So ksmserver must
obtain the exit status of all those children to make the zombies
disappear.

We had that discussions with KDE 1.x and kwin already. ;-)

Uwe

Uwe Thiem                                        Tel:  +264 - 61 - 249249
P.O.Box 30955                                    Email:   uwe@uwix.alt.na
Windhoek                                                      uwe@kde.org
Republic of Namibia                                    http://www.kde.org