List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Session Management Server README
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-04-10 18:36:00

Am Fre, 07 Apr 2000 schrieb Ming W. Poon:

> Hi Matthias,
>
> I have not got KDE 2 up and running myself yet so I have to ask. Does this new session manager
> takes into account of restoring apps in different virtual desktops like they were before the
> previous session was ended? For example, if I have kMail running on vd1 and kUser running in
> vd4, would they be restored in the right virtual desktops or will they all be restored in vd1?
> Thanks.

To avoid confusion: the old session management also restored applications on
the prior virtual desktop, at least KDE applications. The problem with the
X11R4/R5 protocol of KDE-1.x was, that window properties had to be stored by
the application. Apps like Netscape didn't know how KDE manages virtual
desktops, so the information simply was lost.

The new X11R6 protocol lets the window manager store geometry information, and
kwin (like most other wms nowadays) does this.  That means: any application
talking XSMP will be restored on the right virtual desktops with with right
properties (like sticky, maximized, etc.)

Unfortunately not too many apps talk XSMP yet, Netscape for example doesn't.
But that's nothing we can fix, I'm afraid.

Matthias